Noodle soup has been one of those go to meals I whip whenever my stomach is in chaos and also whenever the Husband is suffering from tonsilitis. That's why we always have different kinds of noodles in the house, from dried egg noodles, rice noodles that comes in different sizes, glass noodles that also comes in different size, and different pasta noodles.
Glass noodles or cellophane noodles are the best for noodle soup when you're dealing with an upset stomach as they are easier to digest. Well, I concluded that based on my experience. I often cook it the Filipino way adding some patola (luffa squash) for the additional fiber I needed. But I usually get tired of eating the same kind of dishes every now and then. So I searched the world wide web for some help and recipes.
There are a lot of Asian noodle soup recipes you can find in the internet I find it even difficult to choose. I would love to try everything. Anyway, without much ado, here is my Vietnamese Inspired Chicken and Glass Noodle Soup which I adopted from the recipe of the ravenous couple's Miến Gà Vietnamese Chicken Glass noodle soup. I just added a few ingredients and tweak a few things to suit my liking. We love it so much specially the Husband that I already cooked this twice :-) And, oh, I promised a good friend of mine that I'd be cooking one for her but wasn't able to fulfill that. I will make it up to her next time, promise (right hand on top of my chest).
VIETNAMESE INSPIRED CHICKEN & GLASS NOODLE SOUP
Glass Noodles - 100 grams
Chicken breast, skin removed, cut into small portions - 200 to 300 grams
Chicken Gizzard - a handful
Chicken Heart - a handful
Chicken bouillon - 1 cube
Garlic, crushed and coarsely chopped - 8 cloves
Onion, quartered - 1 large
Ginger, quartered - 1 thumb size
Onion powder - 1/2 tsp
Ginger powder - 1/2 tsp
Shitake Mushroom - a handful
Black pepper, cracked
Patis (fish sauce) - 6 tbsp or to taste
Salt to taste
Water- 1 1/2 L or more
Green onion leaves for garnishing
1. Roast the ginger and the onions until charred.
2. Dump the chicken breast, gizzard, chicken heart, ginger, onions, garlic, bouillon, black pepper, 1 liter of water, and fish sauce. Bring the mixture to a boil. Simmer for at least 30 minutes over low medium fire .
3. Wash the shitake mushroom and soak in water for at least 30 minutes.
4. After 25 minutes of simmering the soup, in a separate pot, boil water enough to cover the noodles. Once boiled, soak the glass noodles in it for about 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
5. After 30 minutes of simmering the soup, add 1/2 liter of water then toss in the shitake mushroom, ginger powder and onion powder. Simmer and adjust taste as needed. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Total time of cooking the noodle soup is 45 minutes.
6. Assemble the noodle soup in serving bowls by dividing the noodles into portions (serves up to 4).
Garnish with diced green onion leaves before serving
© myFresha-licious (30September2015)
DO CHECK US ON FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST
- myFresha-licious on Facebook
- myFresha-licious on Pinterest
- All photos, texts, and anything published in this site is owned by the Authors of myFresha-licious.com, unless otherwise mentioned. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO COPYING, NO REPRODUCTION OF ANY KIND IS ALLOWED WITHOUT PRIOR WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM THE AUTHOR/s.