My husband and I often have some friends over for dinner once in a while and I never had any problem when it comes to what food or dish to serve them until a Vegan friend came over. I was totally stumped. What's perplexed me the most is that he's not Pinoy (other Asian). It wouldn't be that difficult if we shared the same nationality and cultural background. There would be less constraints.
A Vegan came so I cooked eggplant & shitake mushroom pasta. That's the best dish I was able to come up with no thanks to my husband who also had no clue. Good thing that I have been planning to make eggplant spaghetti aglio olio for that week so I had a stock of eggplants in the fridge otherwise I'd end-up cooking who knows what (hehehe)
Anyway, this pasta dish is great not only for vegans. For non-vegans, you can drizzle your pasta with lots of parmesan cheese for added enjoyment ;-)
If you were I, what dish would you feed your Vegan-non-Pinoy-Asian guest?
EGGPLANT & SHITAKE MUSHROOM PASTA
Spaghetti - 150 g
Shitake Mushroom, thinly sliced - 100 g.
Eggplant, thinly sliced - 3 medium size
Ripe Tomatoes, diced - 6 large
Tomato paste - 200 g
Onions, chopped - 2 medium
Garlic, chopped - 5 cloves
Basil, dried and ground Thyme, dried and ground
Marjoram, dried and ground
Rosemary, dried and ground
Ground black pepper
Ground red pepper
Sweet Paprika - 1/2 tsp
Sugar - 2 tsp
Salt to taste
1. Cook the spaghetti noodles until aldente as directed in its package. Drain and set aside
2. Pan grill or shallow fry the eggplants, remove excess oil by draining them on paper towels.
3. Heat oil in a pan and pan fry the shitake mushroom. Scoop them out and set aside.
4. In the same pan, pour and heat oil. Sauté the garlic then the onions. Stir until the onions become translucent.
5. Stir in the tomatoes and simmer for a minute until a bit softened.
6. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer until the tomatoes are fully mashed and the sauce thickened.
6. Toss in the spaghetti noodles, eggplants, and mushroom. Simmer for at least 2 minutes then remove from fire.
Well, this past Transfer the spaghetti mixture into a serving plate and top it with grated parmesan cheese before serving
Want more recipes on pasta dishes? Click our pasta dishes collection
DO CHECK US ON FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST
- myFresha-licious on Facebook
- myFresha-licious on Pinterest
© myFresha-licious (31October2013)