YAKITORI according to Japanguide.com means grilled chicken speared on sticks. All different parts of the chicken, thighs, skin, liver, etc. can be used for yakitori. “Yaki” means grilled and “tori” means chicken. In short, yakitori is the Japanese version of chicken barbecue.
But what I am about to present to you is a non-skewered oven-grilled chicken version since I have no bamboo sticks or any skewer available that I can use. I made a few tweaks here and there incorporating the Filipino method of marinading the meat before barbecuing.
So here is my Yakitori that my husband loves glazed in a sweet-savory sauce made of soy sauce, sake, and mirin. Have it with any boiled or grilled veggies and a steamed whole-grain red rice.
Chicken thighs, boneless skin-on - 4 pieces
Bamboo sticks (optional)
Sesame Oil - 1 tsp
Soy Sauce - 3 tbsp
Sake (rice wine) - 3 tbsp
Soy Sauce - 1/4 c
Sake (rice wine) - - 1/4 c
Mirin - 1/4 c
Sugar - 4 tsp
Ginger , grated- 1/4 tsp
Garlic, minced - 4 cloves
Water - 1/4 c
Cornstarch - 1 tsp dissolved in 1 tbsp of water
Cooking Procedure :
1. Debone your chicken thigh if you are not using the deboned ones. Set aside the bones. Slice the chicken into half or 2"x2")
2. Mix the ingredients for the marinade and marinade the chicken for at least 2 hours or even overnight if you have the time.
3. Using an infuser, inject each slice of chicken with the marinade.
4. Place the chicken in a griller. If you are going to use your oven to grill, which I did, preheat it first to 200 degrees Celsius. Grill chicken for about 5 minutes.
5. While grilling, mix the remaining marinade with the ingredients for the glaze, except for the cornstarch mixture, and add the chicken bones then bring to a boil under medium fire for about 5 minutes then simmer under low fire for another 10 minutes
6. Remove the chicken from the griller and add to the glaze mixture and simmer for 2 minutes under medium fire.
7. Return the chicken on the griller and brush it with sesame oil. Grill one side for 8 to 10 minutes or until they turned brown. Flip the chicken and grill for another 5 minutes.
8. Remove from the griller and arrange it on a plate. Pour the glaze on the chicken and serve
DO CHECK US ON FACEBOOK AND PINTEREST
- myFresha-licious on Facebook
- myFresha-licious on Pinterest
© myFresha-licious (30April2013)