Rellenong Bangus or stuffed milkfish is considered a holiday dish. One reason is that it is laborious to prepare this dish not to mention that it is expensive to come up with at least 2 whole rellenong bangus.
I haven't actually tried my hands on making rellenong bangus but I am planning to in the coming days when I'm in Qatar. This recipe is actually of Macoy's (Marco Sarmiento) . I wasn't able to get a photo of the ones he made but i'll try to request for it. Bear with me for the meantime.
Bangus (Milkfish), gutted and scaled - 2 big pcs
Sugar - 2 tbsp
Bell Pepper, chopped - 1 medium
Carrots, chopped - 1 medium
Onions, minced - 2 medium
Garlic, minced - 1/2 bulb (around 7 cloves)
A dash of Salt to taste
Vegetable Powder - 3 tsp
Ground Black Pepper
Raisin - 1 small box
Flour - 2 to 3 tbsp
Marinade for the skin:
Cooking Procedure :
1. Remove all the meat of the fish from the skin through the cavity below the head of the milkfish. Snap the spine at the base of the fish tail in order to remove it.
Steam the milkfish until they are cooked.
2. Combine the ingredients for the marinade and marinate in it the fish skin including the head for at least an hour. Drain and dry.
3. Steam the meat of the fish until it is cooked.
4. Shred the meat of the fish and remove all fish bones.
5. Mix the shredded meat of the fish with the rest of the ingredients. Make sure that the mixture is dry.
6. Stuff it inside the fish skin. Wrap it in foil then steam for at least 30 minutes.
7. Remove the foil then fry it until both sides turn golden brown.
You can keep the steamed but unfried or even fried rellenong bangus inside the refrigerator.
© Fresha-licious (18November2012)